Dancing and me>>>


While some had to go to school to learn the art, for me it was an innate ability. Back then when I was two years old or so, every Saturday, I would put on my iro and buba then go to my father’s room to dance and make him smile. There was something about music that it had a kind of effect on my body ( mind you,music that appeals to me alone-lyrics, melody and beats). There was hardly any dance competition, end of year parties or ceremonies where I would not draw attention because of my dancing skills. Eventually, I came up tops or among the first two. I could switch on the T.V to watch only dance programmes because it made me updated with latest dance steps and was also a source of inspiration. In my days, it started off with running mad, Cleopatra, flex, MC Hammer, twisting and others. One thing about dance is that it keeps on evolving as new steps keep surfacing.
I look forward to every Thursday after break time in Primary school to go for Choreography class taught by Uncle Victor(wonder where he is and I have searched for him on facebook).He was such a good dance instructor, he had the right the steps for every beat. The class was interesting and enjoyable. It did not take him long to recognise my love for dancing and was placed in the front row. However, I was moved to the back row because of my height.. That was several years ago, anytime I hear songs that had been choreographed, it brings back childhood memories. I recall the steps and make the moves even if it creates a nostalgic feeling. There were other platforms to showcase my talent like the cultural group. It was different from modernised dance; it was deeply rooted in culture and the movements and rhythms are very unique. As much as I wanted to associate with western dance, I still found fulfilment dancing to local beats in local style.
As I progressed from primary to secondary then to the University, somehow I still managed to be visible in anything relating to dance. Now I am all grown up and still growing (though not necessarily physically but mentally, spiritually, socially, financially-YES!!!
Somehow I have noticed my love for dancing has kinda dropped owing to other pressing issues associated with adulthood like pursuit of career, marital life and relationships with people generally. More so, getting older comes with maturity and there are childhood habits that are to be dropped. If I was going to continue dancing, it should be among my circle but people in this circle sometimes do not want to let want to let their hair down. What is of serious concern is my inflexibility. These days I find it difficult to do things that I could easily do-exercise to the rescue. I really want to get my groove back and take dancing to another level. Kaffy is my model in this area. She is a mother but she still fit and doing what she knows how to do best. Dancing is the movement to rhythm or sound. Every culture has its own peculiarities. Some common dances are salsa, pantomime, hip hop, ballet e.t.c. Dancing is a form of exercise. It is a mood booster, form of entertainment and source of income. It relaxes the muscles and eases tension. Dancing is a hobby and would always be! 
 

Comments