Much ado about customer service!

So the other day I had mistakenly scratched off the numbers on my recharge card.In a bid to resolve this ,I called the customer care line.After several trials,I finally got through.The call was picked up by a man.He barely mentioned his name sounded more like mumbling and then the next thing that was audible was "This is XYZ customer care,how may I help you???".I started off by introducing myself and stated the reason for my calling.This was followed by series of personal questions relating to my number and then to that of the recharge card bought.It was annoying that after the long talk,the supposed customer care agent later referred me to visit their branch office closest to me for further assistance.

I had rushed from the close of work to beat traffic and get to XYZ network on time before closing hours which was 5p.m.Tension was rising  because I had met the annoying traffic I dreaded.I was wondering what to do next,trek or get a bike.Thankfully,the road started to clear and the bus was gradually moving.Yes!I got down at my bus stop and phew!still had to trek some few metres to get to my destination so I increased my gear to gear 5.



On getting to the network provider's  office,it was like 2mins before closure....Wow! I made it.The thought of coming back was not an option at all.The first person I happened to meet was the security man who directed me to sign up in log in book.I told him my issue and he directed me to someone who directed to another person and this very person directed me to another.I decided to enjoy the ride because it appeared that seeing one tensed up and  frustrated delighted these people.Finally I got to the next referral, smiled, laid my complaints,she seemed ready to help.But I noticed that she was  not different from the former.She had a nonchalant attitude.

Imagine!she was making a call in my presence while  I stood there ,without a word of apology or please kindly hold on.It was more like you have to wait for me to be through with what I was doing before I would attend to you.So far,the people that I have been coming in contact with have been women.Is this a woman thing???I continued to exercise patience waited till she had finished the call before  I told her politely that I was waiting....And what did she do in return,she pretended to not hear and was contributing to a gist while a customer was in distress.

Now the die was cast,I could not bear it anymore.I started to flare up.I threatened to change my network  and that why should bother being a customer to such ingrates.After all I was the reason for their being in business.The rule is Customer is always right.Customer is King.Customer is the reason for being in business.By virtue of loosing one customer,more customers would be lost  both potential and present ones when the words of bad service and delivery spreads by words of the mouth!


Then and only then did the status quo change,it was now on V.I .P level.I wonder the reason for all the display and need for saving a customer time and energy.Or were this people being selective of whom they attend to with professionalism and immediate alacrity.I was happy at the end that my issue was resolved but the thought of the drama that ensued was something else to my system.

Poor customer service delivery has become the norm.It is visible in the banks,eateries,filling stations and so on.If  a customer is not greeted by a frowning customer agent,it is the one who is politely rude and lacks manners.For crying out loud,customers are the reasons for business thriving and making profits.Do organisations skip out the orientation in customer service delivery and all the customer service Institutes-do they teach theory only!We complain that business is bad,have we examined little causes of business decline.Customer service should be practised with the right attitude and professionalism attached to its calling!I refuse to be offended by annoying customer service delivery ,It is better off switching or better still porting-that my logo

Comments