How to attend a Lagos event?

                                 Image credit: Jumia Travel

I have been a Lagosian all my life.  Eko oni baje oo! The city is ever bubbling with new opportunities everyday. I learnt that about 3000 immigrants troop into Lagos on daily basis. For what exactly? Your guess is as good as mine. They are in search of greener pastures. No wonder it has been tagged the commercial centre. There is also a saying that if you can make it Lagos, you can make anywhere.

Normally, every weekend is spiced up with events, shows and "owambes". Personally, I am much of an indoors person but as God would have it, I got an IV for a Lagos show. Going there for the first time, I was quick to pick up certain trends and they are:

1. Never go early
Am sure you are not new to ''Nigerian time''? That would form another discussion for another day. On getting to the event pretty earlier than usual, I noticed they were yet to start even at the take off time. In fact, they started three hours later. It is best to stay prepared than caught unawares. Buy bottled water/sip a drink or take popcorn, pop chewing gum because hunger pangs would start locking in.

2. Change your name
I actually went there to interview guests. Do you know that virtually all the guests I spoke had English names like Tataina, Lerato, Sandra, Meagan, Carolina, jeffrey, Clinton, Moissa and the likes. I didn't hear names like Akpo, Nkechi, Mayowa, Biliki, Livinus, Chikodiri, Mutiu, Bala e.t.c

3.Speak with phoney accent
Some people spoke with phoney accent. I think it was embarrassing to speak pidgin or be real. It was more or less a show-off of a  particular kind of attitude. ''Spreeing'' to the fullest less you be tagged local.

4.Dress street style
This one is a personal thing. Fashion is what you wear, style is how you wear it. People never go for Lagos event without having the intention to slay and make heads turn. Not bad if you ask me. However, if it appears that you made so much effort  to make a statement then wahala dey! As in when you make an entrance yet nobody ja you face. *sighing*

5. Go with power bank
Unless you have two fully charged batteries then you might not necessarily bother about this. The event would be taking selfies, making calls,  videos and all and if care is not taken your phone battery might just get totally drained. Just have a back up plan.

6. Never go solo
No man is an Island. If you really want to have fun and don't want to feel left out, it's best to have a buddy around. Trying to blend might land you several jibes. Unless your threshold is very strong, you might allow people give ''ela'' and take it calmly as part of life. Seriously, it is more fun to be in the company of your friends or family.

With these few points of mine, I hope I have been able to convince you of how to attend a Lagos event. Did I leave out any tip, please share....xoxo

Comments