The police is your friend,abi?

I just had to hurry up or I would be late for church.Gush!my make up was not done and my hair needed to be brushed. The sound of the horn made me gather my makeup bag,brush,bag and most importantly -Bible!To think that that people go to church without their bibles.Thankfully technology has made life easy,people now carry tablets ,ipads and other devices to church so no need for the hard copy bible again.

In my mind,I was getting prepared to be the cynosure of all eyes."Then go hear am!" was my motto.Journey to church was about 45 minutes.I used that time to polish up.Omo see transformation.We had gotten to junction and there was an error committed by the driver and this did not go unnoticed.There was a hungry police officer by the corner.Happily,he had caught  an offender and that means money must flow???

Quickly,he pointed his gun to the driver of the car I was in and beckoned to him to open the door.Without hestitating,the back door was opened and he got in.The next thing he said was that Mr Man,you are going to drive to my station.Go straight!


Apparently the police officer was offended by the grammar that the driver was speaking and the self defence that he put up so he(police officer) remained adamant .He insisted that the driver should drive to his station.While this was going on I tried to plead with the police officer,he didnt even fall for my charm.He was hell bent on taking us to his station.The car that was moving at full speed was gradually slow down and this was followed by series of pleas and explanations that landed on deaf ears.

After putting up I no gree attitude,the police officer mellowed and demanded for a whooping sum of 70000 naira.Kai,did we look like we were working in Central bank.Then the amount was cut in half but we didnt give in.It was pleading all the way.Finally,the officer ,let us call him Sergent  Owonikoko ,lowered the fine to10000 naira,no more no less.People that were going to church had to lie-white lie ,black lie or red lie.We had to lie to get out of the mess.

We actually said that we had no money and that the money we had was just to buy fuel into the car and then Sergent Owonikoko said that we could pay just 5000 naira,see his mouth like just 5000 naira!After much plea,the police officer took 3000naira.Imagine! money that would have been used for something productive.He could have just reprimanded us .For the offence  did not warrant a fine and all the drama that followed.Meanwhile ,we had passed our destination so we had to take a u-turn and guess what we were late for church!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Very interesting write-up. I hope the Police eventually becomes our friend.
Anonymous said…
How we crave for a better force.