Yay.....Growing Old???



Image source: www.doomsteaddiner.net
"Only a fool does not grow old"
Yiddish proverb

Gbam! It dawned on me that I was going to be a year older in some days time. Like play, like play, girlfriend was gradually transforming into a woman. Apparently, the thought of growing old is not peculiar to me alone. You know that feeling that makes you feel that you are no longer young and active, fresh and vibrant but all wrinkled up and weak.It comes with advanced birthday celebrations. Then I dreaded hitting twenty. And then it came. Then I dreaded 25 and then it came. Now another landmark is fast approaching. The focus had been on how to turn back the clock, conquer age, beat it, hide it behind the mask...

Looking up my diary and all the plans I hoped to attain for every milestone left me wondering when they would all materialize. Being the youngest in my family,I am used to being in gatherings that I'm among the youngest but nowadays doesn't appear so. Girlfriend is getting older,hia!

The wishlist is long, no be small.Life makes us understand that there would always be people one is older than and others one is younger than.
I got to know what matters is not the numbers but hours, not the age but time. Time is life...
Nothing is so dear and precious as time(According to Rabelais). Not even youth, not beauty ,nothing at all.

Below are excepts from the book-Getting over getting older (by Letty Cottin Pogrebin)

What good is it to turn fifty with a wrinkled face if there is no light behind the eyes, no passion in the voice,  no new ideas happening inside the head...
Why hope to live a long life if we are only going to fill it with self absorption, body maintenance and image repair?
...When we die do we want them to say,
" She looked ten years younger" or
" She lived a great life"

Back to my long turachi.growing older for me is increasing in age number, fully accepting oneself, understanding ones body, being comfortable in ones skin, being wiser, more beautiful, knowledgeable and skillful

On the other hand, growing old according to my own definition is becoming filled with wrinkles, having hair problems, being weak and not flexible,slow in reasoning, loss of memory and giving up on being a better version of oneself.

Well you might not agree. But two people can look at the same thing and interpret differently. Life is all about choices. I choose to grow older than grow old.

Remembering that this the youngest I would ever be and the oldest I have gotten. So why shouldn't I live it up, learn, relearn and unlearn?

One day I said to myself:"I'm 20!"
By the time I recovered from the shock of that discovery, I had reached 40...phew!
It was not loss of looks but time.It was not fading youth but fading dreams...

Comments