On Geography Field Trips


On Boat Trip # This is not my real face oooh

 Rural Life
Geography is dynamic. It remains one of the most versatile courses. Reason that it can fit anywhere, it is evident everywhere and applied everywhere.
Geography is tied to the question of what, when, where and why.
As we speak, new geography findings are evolving daily.

As a geographer, my learning is not limited to the classroom alone. I get the chance to explore and go on field trips.On this fateful day, I had gone on field trips with my amiable lecturers and colleagues. We set out very early. As early as 6.30am.Destination was Badagry, one of the coastal areas in Lagos.

Every one of us was delegated to perform different roles. For me, it was the administering of questionnaires. The questionnaires were structured to know about climate trends in the study area,demography, impacts of climate change on land and vegetation and description of the area in time past.
Trust me it came with challenges.First of all, I was not fluent in the native dialect-egun yoruba. Thankfully, I got help and assistance from the team.
 (a) Soil Samples ( b)  Discussing with respondents


Looking at the respondents who form the rural populace, they seemed satisfied with their lifestyle.
There was no traffic.The air was fresh. The area was peaceful and calm. No noise or the usual b laring of. Vehicles horn, rantings from bus conductors And roadside loudspeakers.Not the usual Lagos hustle and bustle. Food was pure-fresh fish and vegetables.  But I ask myself can I live in rural area?*Scratching my head.Women in their teens and early twenties were already mothers.Leaves me wondering which is more important-school or having children??? It was an open show of breastfeeding, they did not send anybody. Farming and breastfeeding, walking and breastfeeding, too.
The field trip was strictly business before pleasure. We had gone to the field with light breakfast of sliced bread and sardine. By the time we were done, hunger entered gear five.
I love adventure. I got to see life from the rural people's lens. Their buildings and livelihood differ from what I was used to.

Entering a boat on the sea, was the height of the field work. It brought so much satisfaction sailing on the sea.
As much as we went to the field for research, we bonded with the people met and took their contacts for future benefits. After working, we stopped at mama put to attend to the hunger pangs.It was amala and egusi for me .Two wraps did the magic. May be others went for more. We could not return to the campus that same day so we spent the night at a guest house close by. I love the fact that the rooms were labelled according to different African countries. Guess where I spent the night-in Nambia.

"Namibia" was tastefully furnished.It also had a frame telling me more about the country. Slept like a log of wood. Had to wake up early next morning to head back to destination. Then it would be for analysis.
At the end of it all, it was a thrilling experience.Geography is life. Life is Geography!

Comments