My Trip To Olumo (God Moulded) Rock (Photos)






It was D-day for the Olumo rock trip -one I anticipated and was eager to go to ever since. The opportunity came and I jumped on it gladly. However, that very day I woke up feeling like a log of wood. I hit my snooze button thrice and on the fourth touch, I got up when I remembered that the Olumo rock trip was not free, it was a paid trip, ding! So would I sacrifice my sweet sleep for a day at the beautiful edifice? Definitely yes. I wondered why of all the days the sleep was not as sweet that very day. 

After my usual morning routine, I hit the road dressed in sleeveless black top tucked in Ankara trousers on rubber Gladiator heels. Trust me, I went prepared with my knapsack. Inside it, was my face cap and sunglasses to protect me from the ranging sunrays, a bottle of water, and a book to read if bored, my earphones of course, my music playlist, my phone, a note book and handkerchief. 

We were to take off after church service from the church premises. I could tell it was going to be a good day, first all, I slept well then I bumped into a long time schoolmate that morning, for me that was a good omen and it sure was. 

I think the excitement of going to Olumo rock robbed my concentration of the church sermon. Immediately after service, I rushed to meet with other people going on the trip. As usual we didn't leave at the 'appointed time'. We fell for the 'Nigerian time plague' because logistics and planning was still ongoing. Finally, we left for Olumo rock. 


I must admit I had fun in the journey going because of my interesting bus mates. The journey to Olumo rock from take off point was approximately 2 hours.

Alas, we landed on Olumo rock. The sun welcomed us as it intensified its rays. The tour guide was a jovial chap who was glad to tell us the history of Olumo rock. According to him, Olumo  is Yoruba word 'God moulded'. He also took us down memory lane of the Egba people of Yoruba land who sought fortress in Olumo rock during the time of war in the 19th century. He also show us lovely art works, art designs, tie and dye(adire), accessories, books(It pained me that I didn't buy any), artefacts and others. 

Olumo Rock is located in the ancient city of Abeokuta in Ogun state. For more information,please check Olumo Rock


From the Olumo rock trip,  I learnt that if you want to go fast, you go alone but when you want to go far, you go with others. It was not easy getting to the top of the Olumo rock. I would not lie that I was scared of looking down or climbing the rocks but I overcame my fears. Yes, I learnt strength and overcame fear of heights. 

The laws of motion was applicable it wasn't easy climbing up but  it was much easier going down- same with life, isn't it? 

My shades and face cap were handy, the sun was so overjoyed it baptised us with intense heat but that the stop us from enjoying the adventure. I made new friends, I got a new perspective, mostly I saw the world from the peak, hence I would not be myopic minded anymore..... 

See more photos from the Olumo rock trip below:


















Comments